I am incredibly thrilled to be joining the adjunct faculty of GRCC, the best community college music department in Michigan, as director of Shades of Blue – the vocal jazz ensemble founded by the inimitable Duane Davis.
You can read more about why I think vocal jazz is of value here. (And many other posts on my site! Do a search on the right…)
I’ve got some fabulous music picked out for the group, and some exciting performances planned (including a return to the Forest Hills Vocal Jazz Festival in the fall and the Gold Company Invitational in the spring.)
Shades of Blue is a one credit hour/two contact hour class at Grand Rapids Community College. We will rehearse Tuesdays from 2:30-4:30pm. An additional hour sectional will be schedule by the members of the group.
Here are some of the details for about the audition process, which begins one month from today:
Shades of Blue Informational Meeting: August 29, 2:30pm
Auditions held Wednesday, August 30, 5-9pm (10 minute time slots)
Additional auditions scheduled Friday, September 1, 12-2pm (1o minute time slots)
Shades of Blue audition slots are available for signup here.
- One or two songs in contrasting style (jazz, pop, etc.) *
- Sight singing
- Vocal improvisation over the blues in F
- 24-hour piece (song excerpt distributed at the Informational Meeting on 8/29)
- Ear testing (Tonal memory/Middle Note)
* Accompaniment: I can play your chord-based accompaniment, but an accompanist or self-accompanying is preferred.
First rehearsal Sept. 5 at 2:30pm
I’m so excited to start working with this group!