In our culturally segmented society, we all-caps NEED Cultural Experiences that help us remove blinders from our entrenched viewpoints.
Where in school are you most likely to have these experiences? In the arts, of course.
- Arts field trips that expose us to fine art we wouldn’t otherwise experience.
- Travel abroad or around the country to make (and take in) art in other places.
- Cultural exchanges where we make music with musicians with a different background
- Singing, playing, experiencing art that tells a story different than our own.
- Actually working together with students with different opinions, histories, cultural biases – rather than just sitting next to them.
Of course these things can happen in any classroom, in any subject. But they are most likely to happen in the arts classrooms.